Monday, July 1, 2013

Snack Time! Kale Chips

Reason #44 why I love summer, well its not these crazy flood and tornado watches we have been having lately. That is for sure! But, farmers markets are in full swing and that is something I get really excited about! Especially since our town has one Saturday mornings. It is great to walk down there on a sunny day, get inspired, and grab fresh ingredients for the week. The best part is that you are supporting local business and farmers. Okay, and the food trucks aren't that bad!!! I will do a round-up of those one day as well!

Brian seems to have this obsession lately with Kale. Which is a good thing! Because Kale is super good for you. So when he brought over a bunch of Kale and asked if I could make them into Kale chips I didn't say no! Although, I thought yuck! How could you ever substitute chips with veggies? Well I was wrong because I have been crunching on them every since! Plus its super simple. The most time consuming part would be checking on them while they are baking so they don't burn and getting the right crunchy consistency. In my experience, I had a large bunch and the pieces weren't all the same size.  Therefore, some chips were done before others. So I did spend some time taking them out of the oven, weeding out the finished ones and putting the not yet crunchified ones back in the oven. Also not that you can season them different ways. I used garlic powder on mine, which was really yummy! You could throw a little cayenne pepper on them for some heat if you wanted to  as well!


ps- good party snack alert!

Kale Chips
ngredients

1 head kale, washed and thoroughly dried
2 tablespoons olive oil
Pepper (optional)
Garlic Powder (optional
Sea salt, for sprinkling

Directions

Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.

Remove the ribs from the kale and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Lay on a baking sheet and toss with the olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Bake until crisp, turning the leaves halfway through, about 20 minutes. If you have a larger bunch like I did, this may take longer. As I suggested before take them out and see which ones are done. Put those in a tupperware and keep baking the rest. Trust me, they are better when fully crispy!