Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mama Giolas in Montclair


I had been passing this place for months and was really wondering wether or not this place was a decent Italian restaurant. I have read some good reviews and some not so good reviews. But of course I want to find out for myself! We walked all around Church Street and the rest of the town reading menus. There was a lot of outside dining b/c it was so nice and every menu we looked at had items that were interesting. It was a hard choice but I was craving Italian. But I can't wait to back and try another place in the area. Its nice because everyone is on the street and there is a stage where differen musicians play into the night. Really cool vibe.

So anyway we end up eating outside at Mama Giolas. Inside it looked really empty but for some reason it didn't deter me it just made me feel bad for whomever Mama Giola is! But the inside is pretty with all cherry wood and dim lighting. Owner/Chef Sarah Gazawie is who came out to our table more frequent than our waitress. Everything she heard I say even if it wasn't to her was that she will "go make it right away." I of course went for Mozzarella and Tomatoes its so simple and I can make it for myself anytime. But for some reason I have to order it everywhere I go. But they totally did not skimp on the Mozzarella as some places do. I swear they were the thickest slices ever and I did appreciate that. We then saw someone at the table behind us order a fig special and we jumped all over that! It was figs wrapped in prosciutto with blue cheese crumbles inside. The figs were very soft and sweet. The prosciutto was cut thin the only way I like it! Also there were 8 on a plate which was surprising! There were many things on the menu I wanted try but for some reason my stomach was pulling me towards a traditional shrimp parm. It came breaded and covered with cheese and sauce. I could see some people not liking it, but I think your being picky and boring if you don't like something smothered in cheese. You can never have to much!

It was a very satisfying meal and I would definitley go back to try some more menu items. But it seems like Montclair is just brimming with awesome restaurants waiting to be discovered! Well by me at least!

No comments: