Monday, April 8, 2013

Another Big Game, Another Big Bite

So my husband has a serious obsession with University of Michigans basketball team. His childhood room has Michigan border and posters! But funny thing is he never wanted to go to Michigan and no one in his family has attended there. Everyone has their thing right?

So his team made it to the final four and I have to admit I was excited as well. Apparently that hasn't happened since the early 90's. So long ago right?! Being the excellent wife I am I said if his team made it to final four I would have a little party. And of course that involves food, I always have an ulterior motive.

What I did was two crockpots, one pulled pork and one pulled buffalo chicken. My thought was people could make their own sliders. I made cole slaw and a nice big salad. I also tried out something new it was a take on an italian sub but baked. I did end up modifying it a little bit too and I have to say it was pretty popular. Just a couple of notes! You can change the meat and cheese to match the way you would build your italian sub, that is what I did. I also am going to try next time to use Pillsbury pizza dough. I am also going to try a version omitted the eggs. So here is my version:


Cooking Time: 40 min
What You'll Need:
  • 2 (8-ounce) container refrigerated crescent rolls
  • 8 slices sweet sopressata (about 1/2 pound)
  • 8 slices ham (about 1/2 pound)
  • 12 slice provolone (about 1/2 pound)
  • 8 slices capicola (about 1/2 pound)
  • 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted peppers, drained
  • 4 eggs, beaten 
  • salt, pepper, oregano and onion powder
  • olive oil
What To Do:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Unroll crescent roll dough without separating triangles.
     
  2. Place the first container of dough into a pyrex baking dish; using your fingertips, press dough to fit bottom of dish.
     
  3. Layer with half the sopressata, ham, capicola, provolone cheese, and roasted peppers. Pour half of beaten eggs over peppers and repeat with remaining meats, cheese, and peppers. Once you get to last layer then season it with salt, pepper, oregano, and onion powder.
     
  4. Place remaining square of dough over peppers. Pour remaining beaten eggs over dough and drizzle the top with olive oil. Then

    cover lightly with foil.
     
  5. Bake 20 minutes, remove foil, and bake an additional 20 to 22 minutes, or until golden and heated through. Let cool 15 to 20 minutes then cut and serve.

No comments: