Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Little Summer in the Winter

I know its freezing out and thoughts of summer are far off. I am really not the biggest fan of January and February. Its after the holidays and its below 30! Plus its hard to find a good piece of fruit. Apples are still good, and I hear its grapefruit season. Which I do like grapefruit! But I saw strawberries on sale this week and they actually looked really good! So I went for it and made a salad that I usually save for the summer. But I figured why not, when is the next time I might find strawberries that look this good!

 
Strawberry Balsamic Salad

Strawberries, sliced

Cucumbers, sliced then halved

Red Onion

Salt

Pepper

Sugar

Balsamic Vinegar

1. First slice the strawberries and put them in the bowl. Then toss them with about two teaspoons of sugar, like a couple of sprinkles. I wouldn’t use that “raw” sugar stuff. This does what’s called maceration a fancy way of saying you are encouraging the strawberries to release their juices!

2. Then add the red onion and cucumbers sliced. Toss with salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar. You can adjust these amounts to your liking. I usually go a little bit heavier on the pepper. Strawberries, pepper, and balsamic alone are pretty awesome….Feelin crazy? Put that over vanilla ice cream! Ummm minus the cucumber and onion of course!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

D'lish! Can't wait to try!

Unknown said...

Yay!!! Glad you are back to blogging again. Will definitely try and make this salad. x0x0

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.